How weird it must be that you’ve decided to make Coca-Cola Pecan Pie. Like a lot of dishes we found made with Coke, this peculiar recipe is odd and delicious. It also points to the omnipresent Coke marketing Machine and it’s far reaches in different aspects of our life.
First, as always, I attempt to do the most – I oven smoke the pecans with apple wood and rosemary. They really give the pie a deeper richer flavor. Pecans and rosemary work together beautifully.
1 cup dark Corn Syrup
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups whole pecans
1 9-inch unbaked OR frozen deep-dish pie crust (see our recipe for pie crust)
2 liters of Coke
Rosemary and Wood chips for smoking the pecans
1. You need to prepare your oven to smoke the pecans first. Place a handful of wood chips and 2 sprigs of rosemary on a metal or glass baking dish. Just barely cover with water. Put cooling grates on top and cover with aluminum foil.
2. Poke holes through the foil and set pecans on top. Now cover the entire pan in foil and place in then at 250 degrees. The foil will start to puff up ensuring the smoke isn’t escaping.
3. Smoke the pecans for 35mins as not to over roast them – just enough to kiss them with smoke. Then allow to cool – this is important because we don’t want to accidentally scramble our eggs!
4. Reduce the two litter of Coca-Cola on medium/high heat till it reduces down to a half cup of thick syrup. Watch carefully, stirring as to not make caramel and burn the house down as I did. This can take around an hour or so.
5. Mix eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla & cinnamon together in a large bowl. Stir in corn syrup and reduced Coca-Cola after it has cooled. Then fold in the smoked pecans.
6. Pour into pie crust, place on center rack and bake for 60-70mins at 350 degrees.
7. Pie will have some jiggle when you take it out of the oven. It will take 2 hours for pie to completely cool and set.
2 replies on “Coca-Cola Pecan Pie”
Temp to bake the pie – cola pecan ?
Oops, sorry about that. It’s 350 degrees.